The Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine has confirmed that 61 applications have been submitted under the €55 million windblown forest restoration scheme as of yesterday (Wednesday 20 May).
Scheme Applications opened on April 15It targets forest owners who suffered damage to their farms due to Storm Darragh and Storm Éowyn last year.
This scheme aims to provide financial assistance to affected private forest owners to replant their lands with either coniferous or broad-leaved species, or a combination of both.
The department confirmed to Agriland Since the program opened for applications on April 15, 61 applications have been submitted for approval, 50 of which came in just the past two weeks.
In response to parliamentary questions from TD Carol Nolan, Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine Martin Haydon said only one of these applications had been approved so far; Although the minister said the ministry was “actively prioritizing the required administrative and inspection checks.”
Once the areas approved by the Department have been fully replanted, the applicant and their registered forestry worker can apply for the grant payment.
The department confirmed that it has not received any requests for disbursement yet.
As a department spokesperson said: “We encourage all affected private forest owners to take advantage of this comprehensive rebuilding plan which will be vital in helping landowners recover the potential of their forests.”
In a statement to AgrilandMinister Haydon stressed that the Department “made every effort to keep the request as clear as possible, with clear guidance and supporting materials.”
“Landowners who have already replanted, or are in the process of doing so, are eligible to apply for this retrospective scheme once they meet the qualification criteria,” Minister Haydon said.
The comments come as MP Nolan raised concerns about what she claimed was the “slow implementation” of the scheme and its “very low uptake”.
She called on Minister Haydon to “expedite all applications; streamline the process if necessary and where possible; and ensure payments start immediately so affected forest owners can begin to recover.”




